Tricks to Increase Daily Protein Intake
Here are a Few Simple Tips to Increase Protein Intake
by Tim Olszewski MS, RD, LDN
It’s difficult to sit down for a meal or even plan ahead with protein choices. Here are a few simple tips to increase protein intake in your everyday life.
- In yogurt, cottage cheese, or oatmeal: add a scoop of whey protein powder to your breakfast or snack. Mix well to ensure you do not have any “dry bites” or a clumpy mixture.
- In casseroles: throw a few eggs in to help bind the ingredients and get a few more grams in your day.
- Healthy Hint: Using only one egg yolk can help reduce fat and cholesterol.
- Having a salad? Throw a few walnuts, sunflower seeds, or pecans on for an added protein punch and crunch!
- Smoothies: protein powder and dairy are always great additions.
- Almonds are great portable protein sources and they can be kept at room temperature. Trail mix, anyone?
- Beef and turkey jerky make for convenient desk or car snacks.
- Healthy Hint: reach for the low sodium version if available!
- Making your own protein bars at home can be fun and nutritional! Many bars that portray themselves as healthy on the selves are actually filled with excess sugar and overly processed grains. Use an oatmeal bar, banana bread, or no-bake cookie recipe and add your own simple protein sources listed above (I advise against beef jerky cookies).
- Healthy Hint: instead of reaching to the sugar to sweeten your bars, try using a local, raw honey! Aside from tasting great it has numerous health benefits that sugar cannot offer.
- Here are 3 fun recipes
Thanks for taking the time to read. If you or someone you know if struggling with a slow or non-healing wound we are here to help! Head over to the about us page to learn more.